Wednesday 13 April 2016

My Van der Spek Nomad Traveller's Notebook cover - part two

So carrying on from my previous post (the making of my cover) I wanted to show you the photos I took of my Nomad once it had arrived and then how I have set it up and what I am using it for.

Fresh out of the box

As I said before this is a custom cover so I decided the colours and leathers used to make it and the internal layout.  I went with Janet leather (104) on the outside which is a nice thick leather and a lovely orangey-brown/rust colour.  I had already had a sample of the leather from when I was designing my custom organiser so I knew what I was getting but seeing it on a larger scale as part of the finished cover, I was blown away by the quality of it.  It contrasts nicely with the undyed leather (102) interior and I couldn't wait to start using it!

Van der Spek give you a few different options for the Nomad covers:


  • The basic model -  just the cover with no pockets or pen loop.
  • The complete model - this has the same layout as mine on the left hand side of the cover and a secretarial flap and a slip pocket on the right hand side with an elasticated pen loop. 
  • The basic model with added extras - you can pick and mix what you need for your cover.


I added this standard pocket configuration to the basic cover
I chose the basic model with added extras.  I didn't think I would use a secretarial flap in my traveller's notebook so I didn't want to buy the complete cover but I did want some pockets and a pen loop so I added these options and I am very happy with how it turned out.

Elasticated pen loop on the right hand side

Perfect contrasting stitches

Back view of the elastics

At the moment I have two notebooks in the cover.  The first has grid paper and I am using it for lists and notes.  The second is made with plain paper and I am using it for being a bit creative.  It has been a very long time since I have had an art book but I was feeling inspired once I had set everything up so I got busy gluing and sticking and having a little fun.  Here are some more photos for you!

First notebook - grid paper

Slip pocket and zipped insert

Behind the slip pocket is space for business cards

What's inside my zipped compartment & the front
of my second notebook


The joys of spring

An extra little pocket made using a pretty paper bag

The view from above

So that's my new traveller's notebook!  I absolutely love it and I am really enjoying using it.  I will write another post about it soon.

Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments: